Friday, November 6, 2009

Chinese Pop Song "聽媽媽的話" (Ting Mama De Hua, Listen To Mom's Words) by Jay Chou


November 06, 2009


** Tips: The reds are linked to related pages. Click on them to visit. They should open in new windows. The greens are pinyin. **

Song title: Tīng Māma De Huà (Listen To Mom's Words) (聽媽媽的話, 听妈妈的话)

Singer:
Zhōu Jiélún (Jay Chou) (周倫, 周杰伦) who is one of the most popular hot Taiwanese musicians, singers, producers and actors right now, very talented and has won the World Music Award four times.
To be honest, I didn't like his style until Aries requested this song. Please tell me why you like Jay?
There are slow parts in the song which is perfect for beginners, the melody is good as well. But the fast parts in the song are way too fast and I could hardly catch up. It's very challenging and fun.

The lyrics touch moms' hearts. I can see a lot of moms are telling their kids: "See even Jay Chou is saying listen to mom..."

CLICK HERE for more information about the Jay Chou.
The subtitle in the video is in traditional Chinese.






Lyrics in pinyin, simplified characters and translations:

"Tīng Māma De Huà " (Listen to Mom's Words)

Xiǎopéngyǒu, nǐ shìfǒu yǒu hěn duō wènhào?
小朋友, 你是否有很多问号?

Little friend, do you have a lot of questions?


W
èishíme biérén zài nà kàn mànhuà,
为什么别人在那看漫画,
Why others are reading comic books,

Wǒ què zài xué huà huà, duì zhe gāngqín shuōhuà.

我却在学画画, 对著钢琴说话.
But I am learning painting and talking to the piano.

Biérén zài wán yóuxì, wǒ què kào zài qiángbì bèi wǒde ABC.
别人在玩游戏, 我却靠在墙壁背我的ABC.
Others are playing games, but I am leaning on the wall memorizing my ABCs.

Wǒ shuō wǒ yào yī tái dàdà de fēijī, dàn què dédào yī tái jiù jiù lùyīnjī.
我说我要一台大大的飞机, 但却得到一台旧旧录音机.
I said I wanted a large airplane, but I got an old recorder.


Wèishíme yào tīng māmā de huà, zhǎngdà hòu nǐ jiù huì kāishǐ dǒng le zhè duàn huà.
为什么要听妈妈的话, 长大后你就会开始懂了这段话.
Why listen to mom's words, after you grow up you will start to understand this section of words.


[ Zhǎngdà hòu wǒ kāishǐ míngbái,
长大后我开始明白, 
After I got older I started to realize,

W
èishíme wǒ pǎo dé bǐ biérén kuài, fēi dé bǐ biérén gāo.
为什么我跑得比别人快, 飞得比别人高.
Why I run faster than others, fly higher than others.


Jiānglái dàjiā kàn de dōushì wǒ huà de mànhuà,
将来大家看的都是我画的漫画, 
In the future, people will be reading the comic books I draw,

Dàjiā chàng de dōushì wǒ xiě de gē.
大家唱的都是我写的歌.
All the songs they sing will be written by me.

Māma de xīnkǔ bú ràng nǐ kànjiàn, wēnnuǎn de shípǔ zài tā xīn lǐmiàn.
妈妈的辛苦不让你看见, 温暖的食谱在她心里面.

Mom's hard work won't let you see. warm recipes are in her heart.

Yǒukōng jiù duōduō wò wò tā de shǒu , bǎ shǒu qiān zhe yīqǐ mèngyóu.
有空就多多握握她的手, 把手牵著一起梦游.
When you have time, hold her hand and dream together. ]


{ ( Tīng māma de huà, bié ràng tā shòushāng.
听妈妈的话, 别让她受伤.
Listen to mom's words, don't let her get hurt.


Xiǎng kuàikuài zhǎngdà, cáinéng bǎohù tā.

想快快长大, 才能保护她.
Want to grow up quickly, be able to protect her. )


Měilì de báifà, xìngfú zhōng fāyá,

美丽的白发, 幸福中发芽.
Beautiful white hair, sprouting in happiness.


Tiānshǐ de mófǎ, wēnnuǎn zhōng cíxiáng.

天使的魔法, 温暖中慈祥.
Angel's magic, benevolent in kindness.
}


Zài nǐde wèilái, yīnyuè shì nǐde wángpái,
在你的未来, 音乐是你的王牌,
In your future, music is your key trump card,

Ná wángpái tán ge liànài, ai, wǒ bú xiǎng bǎ nǐ jiāo huài.
拿王牌谈个恋爱, 唉, 我不想把你教坏.
Use the trump card to be in love, sigh, I don't want to teach you the bad.

Háishì tīng māma de huà ba, wǎndiǎn zài liànài ba.
还是听妈妈的话吧, 晚点再恋爱吧.
Better listen to mom, be in love later.

Wǒ zhīdào nǐ wèilái de lù, dàn mā bǐ wǒ gèng qīngchǔ.
我知道你未来的路, 但妈比我更清楚.
I know your future path, but mom knows better than me.

Nǐ huì kāishǐ xué qítā tóngxué, zài shūbāo xiě dōng xiě xī.
你会开始学其他同学,在书包写东写西.
You will start imitating other classmates, writing things on your backpack.

Dàn wǒ jiànyì zuìhǎo xiě: māma wǒ huì yònggōng dúshū.
但我建议最好写: 妈妈我会用功读书.
But I suggest you better write: Mom I will study hard.

Yònggōng dúshū, zěnme huì cóng wǒ zuǐbā shuō chū?
用功读书, 怎么会从我嘴巴说出?
Study hard, how does that come from my mouth?

B
ù xiǎng nǐ shū, suǒyǐ yào jiào nǐ yònggōng dúshū.
不想你输, 所以要叫你用功读书.
Don't want you to lose so must tell you to study hard.


Māma zhī gěi nǐ de máoyī, nǐ yào hǎohǎo de shōu zhe.
妈妈织给你的毛衣, 你要好好的收著.
The sweater mom knitted for you, you have to keep it safe.

Yīnwèi Mǔqīnjié dào shí, wǒ yào gàosù tā wǒ hái liú zhe.
因为母亲节到时, 我要告诉她我还留著.
Because on Mother's Day, I want to tell her, I still have it.

Duìle, wǒ huì yùdào Zhōu Rùnfā,
对了, 我会遇到周润发,
Oh yea, I will meet Chow Yun Fat,

Suǒyǐ nǐ kěyǐ gēn tóngxué xuànyào, Dǔshén wèilái shì nǐ bàba.
所以你可以跟同学炫耀, 赌神未来是你爸爸.
So you can show off to your friends, "The God of Gambling" will be your father.


Wǒ zhǎo bú dào tóngnián xiě de qíngshū, nǐ xiě wán búyào sòng rén.
我找不到童年写的情书, 你写完不要送人.
I can't find the love letter which is written in the childhood. Don't give it away after you finish it.

Yīnw
èi guò liǎng tiān nǐ huì zài cāochǎng shàng jiǎndào.
因为过两天你会在操场上捡到.
Because you will find it on the playground two days later

Nǐ huì kāishǐ xǐhuān shàng liúx
ínggē, yīnwèi Zhāng Xuéyǒu kāishǐ zhǔnbèi chàng Wěnbié.
你会开始喜欢上流行歌, 因为张学友开始准备唱吻别.
You will start to like pop music because Jacky Cheung is about to sing Kiss Goodbye.


REPEAT {  }, (  ), [  ], {  }


Whew! What a song! Is your tongue twisted?

* Word by word audio, explanation and traditional characters:
Copy any sentence in Chinese above and paste in the dictionary in my side bar then hit "Search". The traditional characters are at the right side of the new opened page where it says "Traditional variant". If you see a blank that means the character's traditional version is the same as simplified version.


Jay Chou acted as a son in the movie "Curse of the Golden Flower". I have to share this since it's an awesome one with the super stars Chow Yun-Fat (Zhōu Rùnfā), Gong Li and the song happened to mentioned Zhōu Rùnfā as well. It was at the time of its release the most expensive Chinese film to date. Here's the trailer:





Like it?

PS. This song is requested by my member Aries.
If you are not my member yet, click on the yellow button near the top of my side bar to register as my free member. You can request songs or stuff I listed in some of my posts as well.



Please comment, I'd love to hear from you. Click HERE.






15 comments:

sweetromance2 said...

The lyrics to your song would warm the heart of any Mom. The words are beautiful and the artist talented. I loved the movie trailer too. The scenes were fascinating.

Aries said...

Thank you so much. I like this song very much but certain words I don't understand. That was fast. I am one of your follower but not member yet, will join.

CheaHSan said...

Hi Jeannie cool like it. He is quite a talented guy but "cool". Thanks

foongpc said...

Guess what? I am a fan of Jay Chou! Like this song! Oh, now I can sing this in karaoke cos you provided the hanyu pinyin, yay!!!

Just wondering how come he didn't come out with an album this year? He always have a new album out every year!

I have friends who said they don't like Jay Chou cos he does not pronounce the words clearly in his songs. Is this true?

Jeannie said...

Thanks to you all for visiting and commenting.

Sweetromance2: Yea...it touches my heart and I'm a mom too. As I listen the song more and more, I found Jay is pretty adorable...lol.

Aries: Sorry for mistaken. I hope the post helped you understand.

Cheah: You are right!

Foongpc: I love to karaoke too. Glad that helps you. Guess he's too busy to come out a new album. Jay's pronunciation is ok in this song. First I had hard time understanding what he's singing in the fast parts. But when I read the lyrics it becomes ok. I think his style is not focus on clear pronunciation so sometimes it's not clear.

Unknown said...

This song reminds me of the greatness of the mother, who willingly to do everything for their children.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Not very much Jay's fan but off-hand can remember this "listen to mom's words", something "grandpa's tea" and duet with Fei Yi-Ching's "Faraway". This could be his trade mark "cool and still" and for bananazpeople we have a challenge. But now with the lyrics and pinyin can understand the meaning of the song thanks to you. I hardly sing in karaoke but I make full use of two ears instead. ക

Jeannie said...

I appreciate your comments, James and Bananaz.

I think Jay did a great job to remind those who are daughters or sons to appreciate their mom and spend quality time with their moms.

I'm not sure about what that Fei Yi-Ching's "Faraway" song is though.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Sorry its Fei Yu-Ching "Faraway" (Chinese: 千里之外;qiānlǐ zhīwà).ക

Jeannie said...

Not much Jay's fan either therefore didn't know "grandpa's tea" and duet with Fei Yu-Ching's "Faraway". Thanks for mentioning, I went YouTube watched a bit. "Grandpa's Tea" is quite interesting but duet with Fei is even more interesting...lol. Jay and Fei are totally different style, I think it's weird to put them together.
Fei is one of my favorite male singers though, his pronunciation and voice are super and clean just like Teresa Teng!

Anonymous said...

Yuenhing
I learned the whole song!!!
thanks for posting it. It is a very cool song. I wonder if Jay CHou really did say all the words or was it a fake O-o

Gin said...

Yuenhing
Thanks for the comment. WOW! You are super! I could not even catch the fast part!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your work. This is a really great idea for a blog and it is really helpful for learning Chinese. Ting mama de hua is a very sweet song.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lyrics translations. i cried when i was reading the lyrics trans...TT.TT...

Gin said...

Thanks for commenting~